I love learning about new tools to make social media marketing more creative and effective, so I’ve decided to share some of my favorite tools with you at the start of each week. This week’s cool tool recommendation is Readable.io – a tool to help you measure the readability of any text.
How It Works
Put in your written text – paste it, upload a document or a URL – and you will get a set of scores and measures:
- Readability scores – including Flesch-Kincaid, Gunning Fog and the SMOG index
- Text analytics – text statistics (like letter, word and syllable counts), composition stats (like adjective, noun and adverb counts)
- Keywork densities – for single words, and two or three word phrases
- Reading and speaking time
- Sentiment analysis – is the text positive, negative or neutral
Once you’ve scored your text, you’ll want to start working to improve it, and the tool can help there as well. Alongside your readability scores and text analytics, you’ll see an advanced highlighting engine showing areas where your text might be improved:
- Long sentences are highlighted in yellow – or where very long, in red
- Long and difficult words are highlighted and underlined
- Uses of passive voice are highlighted in blue
- Adverbs are usually shown in gold
- Spotting cliches is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel
Readible.io is free – with a premium option available from just $3 per month.