I’ve been asked how I follow so many people on Twitter and yet manage to keep engaged. with them. When the number of people you follow gets into high figures, it can become unwieldy to manage them all. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the number of tweets appearing on your timeline – particularly now that Twitter has expanded to 280 characters. So how can you be sure you are keeping up to date with those folks you most want to hear from?
One word – Lists.
Twitter Lists is a feature that has been around from the early days of Twitter and it’s one of the most useful features on the platform.
Here’s how it works:
1. Click on Lists on your profile page
2. Click Create New List
3. Name the List and provide a description
4. Designate the List as Public or Private & then hit Save List
5. To add or remove people from your Lists:
- Use the person icon drop-down menu on somebody’s profile
- Choose add or remove from Lists
- Choose the List you would like to add the person to or uncheck the List the person was already a member of
Visit Twitter’s Help Center for more information on:
- seeing Lists you’re a member of
- viewing tweets from a List
- subscribing to a List
- editing or deleting a List
- sharing a List URL
It’s so easy to build a Twitter List and it is such an effective and simple way to get a handle on your Twitter engagement. Each time you follow someone new on Twitter, get into the habit of adding them straight to one of your lists. If you haven’t already started with your lists, start building them today!