Jane O’Brien from the GMC’s standards and ethics team on our new social media guidance.
The response from the profession has been lively – particularly about the phrase:
If you identify yourself as a doctor in publicly accessible social media, you should also identify yourself by name.
Like all our guidance, Doctors’ use of social media describes good practice, not minimum standards. It’s not a set of rules.
But the response from the profession shows that doctors are unclear or uncertain about:
- Why we included this in the guidance
- What ‘identify yourself as a doctor’ means in practice
- Whether this curtails doctors’ rights to express their views
- Whether the GMC would take disciplinary action against a doctor because they used a pseudonym
- Why doctors shouldn’t raise concerns…
View original post 1,196 more words