I was sent an interesting infographic this week from the folks at Hosting Facts, and the sheer scale of global internet penetration blew me away.
- There are 3.26 billion internet users; that’s over 40% of the world population.
- Facebook now has 1.55 billion active users.
- 2.9 billion Google searches are made every day.
- 2.7 million blog posts are published every day.
When it comes to website and domain stats, there are currently 966 million websites in the world today.
- Google is the #1 most popular website, followed by Facebook and YouTube.
- The most popular CMS is WordPress, powering 25.4% of all websites in the world and responsible for over 76.5 million blogs created since 2004.
- There are currently 123.78 million registered .com domain names, making the .com TLD the top domain name extension.
There are more mobile internet users than desktop internet users; 52.7% of global internet users access the internet via mobile.
- Search engines are the starting point for mobile research, with an estimated 48% of mobile internet users starting their search on search engines.
- Google uses mobile compatibility as a factor when ranking websites.
- 70% of mobile searches result in an online action within an hour of the search being conducted.
- 50% of mobile users will abandon of web page if it takes more than 10 seconds to load, and 60% won’t return to the site.
Click here to access the full report.
Related: AdAge Social Media Facts 2016